When is jaundice a symptom of pancreatic cancer?

Jaundice typically occurs in pancreatic cancer when a tumor in the head of the pancreas first narrows, then obstructs the common bile duct, blocking the flow of bile. Gallstones, which are primarily made up of cholesterol, are a common cause of jaundice. Gallstones can also block the bile duct. Other causes of jaundice that are not obstructive include liver diseases like hepatitis and cirrhosis, and other conditions that cause red blood cells to break down too quickly.

Continue Learning about Pancreatic Cancer Symptoms

When are digestive problems a symptom of pancreatic cancer?
Jill Onesti, MDJill Onesti, MD
Digestive problems can be a symptom of pancreatic cancer. The pancreas has two main functions: to ma...
Should I talk to my doctor about my stage 1 pancreatic cancer symptoms?
Pancreatic cancer may not produce symptoms until the cancer is beyond stage 1, but you should see yo...
What are the symptoms of stage 0 pancreatic cancer?
The symptoms of pancreatic cancer often include jaundice, in which the skin and the whites of the ey...
What Are the Symptoms of Pancreatic Cancer?