How do I know if my back pain is a sign of pancreatic cancer?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Pancreatic cancer is regarded as a silent killer since it’s usually quite advanced by the time it’s discovered. A gland that makes acid to help you digest food, the pancreas is located deep in the abdomen, directly behind the stomach, which is why tumors are often hard to detect. When a cancerous tumor blocks the pancreatic duct, acid backs up and eats away the pancreas, which causes abdominal pain that can often radiate down the back.

Millions of people experience back pain, which is most often muscle-related. Yet, if you have persistent pain that is not helped by anti-inflammatory meds and/or is accompanied by yellowing skin or pale stools, see your doctor to rule out pancreatic cancer.

Lastly, pain caused by pancreatic cancer can be temporarily relieved by bending over, as opposed to typical back pain caused by sore muscles that persist in that position.

Dr. Jill K. Onesti, MD
Surgical Oncologist

Back pain is a rare first sign of pancreatic cancer. Tumors in the pancreas may cause back pain by irritating the nerves in that region. This may present as new-onset pain in the center of your back. This pain is typically present at all times and does not come and go. It is not typically related to activity or any food that you eat. If you notice new back pain, talk to your doctor.

Continue Learning about Pancreatic Cancer Symptoms

Should I talk to my doctor about my stage 1 pancreatic cancer symptoms?
Pancreatic cancer may not produce symptoms until the cancer is beyond stage 1, but you should see yo...
Why is weight loss a possible symptom of pancreatic cancer?
Beth A. Schrope, MDBeth A. Schrope, MD
Weight loss due to pancreatic cancer can be caused by a lack of functional pancreatic enzymes, as ...
When are digestive problems a symptom of pancreatic cancer?
Dr. Beth A. Schrope, MDDr. Beth A. Schrope, MD
Digestive difficulties including indigestion, nausea, weight loss, a poor appetite, and diarrhea, ca...
What Are the Symptoms of Pancreatic Cancer?