When is abdominal pain a symptom of pancreatic cancer?

Jill Onesti, MD
Surgical Oncology
Abdominal pain is a very rare symptom of pancreatic cancer. The tumor may sometimes cause pain by causing inflammation of the pancreas, leading to pancreatitis. This can cause pain in the center of your upper abdomen as well as traveling through to your back. Sometimes the tumor can involve the nerves behind the pancreas, which can cause pain in the center of your back. If you have new and sudden central abdominal pain or back pain, you should discuss these findings with your doctor.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.
Although abdominal pain is typically from benign causes, pain can be a symptom of pancreatic cancer. Pain associated with the pancreas is often felt in the mid-upper abdomen with radiation to the back. But it is important to keep in mind that pancreas cancer is often asymptomatic until late in the disease. That is why it is so hard to diagnose early. 
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Nor does the contents of this website constitute the establishment of a physician patient or therapeutic relationship. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. 
Because the early stages of pancreatic cancer do not cause symptoms, pancreatic cancer is often diagnosed at a later stage, when treatment options are limited.
During the later stages of pancreatic cancer, the follow symptoms may be present:
  • Dark urine, pale stools and jaundice (skin and whites of eyes have a yellowish tint)
  • Weight loss without dieting
  • Loss of appetite, or feeling of fullness
  • Pain in the upper area of the stomach and back
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Weakness
  • Fatigue
  • Pain in the middle of the back that doesn’t go away

Pancreatic cancer is a lethal and aggressive disease. The disease is often far advanced at the time of initial diagnosis in the vast majority of patients. In many patients, symptoms are vague and subtle and thus account for the delay in seeking medical evaluation.

The classic type of abdominal pain associated with pancreatic cancer is a dull pain, located at the epigastrium (just below the breastbone) and radiates to the mid-back. Occasionally, patients may have right upper quadrant or left upper quadrant abdominal pain. Pain may be worse after eating meals, particularly meals that are fried/fatty/greasy.

Other associated symptoms of pancreatic cancer include unintentional weight loss, the presence of loose, foul-smelling stools that float and are difficult to flush, and/or yellowing of the eyes (icterus) or skin (jaundice). Abdominal pain associated with any of these symptoms should prompt immediate evaluation by a physician.

Abdominal pain is a common symptom  of pancreatic cancer. It often radiates to the middle or upper back and worsens after eating or when lying down. Upper abdominal pain commonly occurs with advanced pancreatic cancer. Pain can occur when a tumor, typically originating in the body or the tail of the pancreas, grows to put pressure on surrounding abdominal organs or invades surrounding nerves. Many other conditions can cause upper abdominal pain. If you are experiencing pain in your abdomen, discuss your symptoms carefully with your doctor.

Continue Learning about Pancreatic Cancer Symptoms

What are the symptoms of pancreatic cancer?
Jill Onesti, MDJill Onesti, MD
Pancreas cancer often develops without causing any obvious symptoms. Occasionally, however, it may b...
Should I talk to my doctor about my stage 3 pancreatic cancer symptoms?
Stage 3 pancreatic cancer is a serious illness requiring a doctor's treatment, so you should see you...
Should I talk to my doctor about my stage 0 pancreatic cancer symptoms?
Pancreatic cancer may not produce symptoms until the cancer is beyond stage 0, but you should see yo...
What Are the Symptoms of Pancreatic Cancer?