What screenings are available for pancreatic cancer?

We don't have a gold standard yet for screening. The current data would suggest that an endoscopic ultrasound is the best test.

An endoscopic ultrasound is an ultrasound done with a scope down your esophagus into your stomach, and at the end of the scope is a little ultrasound probe. A very good technician can take that probe and he can look at the entire depth of your gland with an ultrasound, sort of like doing an ultrasound from the inside out, rather than from the outside in.

In the future, the endoscopic ultrasound may not be the go-to pancreatic cancer screening, as the MRI and ultrasound kind of compete neck and neck. But I think ultrasound is the right test for now.

Continue Learning about Pancreatic Cancer Diagnosis

What questions will my doctor ask when checking for pancreatic cancer?
John A. ChabotJohn A. Chabot
Your doctor will take a thorough medical history in order to check for any pancreatic cancer ris...
What should I expect during an abdominal ultrasound for pancreatic cancer?
Beth A. Schrope, MDBeth A. Schrope, MD
If you are undergoing an ultrasound test, you may be asked not to eat or drink for 6-8 hours prior t...
When are digestive problems a symptom of pancreatic cancer?
Jill Onesti, MDJill Onesti, MD
Digestive problems can be a symptom of pancreatic cancer. The pancreas has two main functions: to ma...
What happens during an endoscopic ultrasound for pancreatic cancer?
Beth A. Schrope, MDBeth A. Schrope, MD
During the test you will be under heavy conscious sedation. Throughout the procedure you will retain...