How long is pancreatic cancer typically present before it is diagnosed?

It may be present between 8 and 15 years before it's diagnosed. It starts with precursor lesions, and we don’t think that they accumulate as rapidly as they do in the polyp to colon cancer transformation process. We think it’s a longer process.

People are always stunned when they come in. They might say, "My own father -- I was playing golf with him in October, and in December he got sick. How can he be fine in October and sick in December?" The reality is that the cancer was percolating in there probably for a decade. That’s not with every tumor, but we’re just so far away from being able to do a good screening test for it. You need to have a fairly large number of these genetic changes to detect pancreatic cancer, and those are going to take years to accumulate.

Continue Learning about Pancreatic Cancer Diagnosis

What screenings are available for pancreatic cancer?
NorthShore University HealthSystemNorthShore University HealthSystem
We don't have a gold standard yet for screening. The current data would suggest that an endoscopic u...
How does fine needle aspiration help diagnose pancreatic cancer?
Beth A. Schrope, MDBeth A. Schrope, MD
Fine Needle Aspiration (FNA) is the most common biopsy procedure due to its safety and the relia...
How is CEA used to diagnose pancreatic cancer?
Beth A. Schrope, MDBeth A. Schrope, MD
Similar to CA 19-9, CEA cannot be used as a diagnostic or screening test for pancreatic cancer b...
How should I prepare for an appointment to diagnose pancreatic cancer?
If your doctor thinks your symptoms may be those of pancreatic cancer, you will likely need to meet ...