What should I expect during an MRI for pancreatic cancer?

Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) is a common diagnostic imaging study used in pancreatic cancer. MRI scans use radio waves and powerful magnets to produce images of the body. Like a CT scan, an MRI can produce detailed 3-dimensional cross-sectional images of the body. The MRI can also produce image slices running the length of the body, providing an alternate view of the affected area.

During the scan, the patient lies on a bed inside a narrow tube. The scan usually takes 1 to 1.5 hours. As in a CT scan, it is crucial that the patient remain still during the scan in order to produce the most accurate images possible.

Continue Learning about Pancreatic Cancer Diagnosis

How should I prepare for an appointment to diagnose pancreatic cancer?
If your doctor thinks your symptoms may be those of pancreatic cancer, you will likely need to meet ...
How is stage 2 pancreatic cancer diagnosed?
Your doctor may use a variety of tests to diagnose pancreatic cancer. An ultrasound, which uses soun...
How does a brush biopsy help diagnose pancreatic cancer?
Beth A. Schrope, MDBeth A. Schrope, MD
In a brush biopsy, a small brush is inserted through the endoscope during an ERCP procedure and dire...
What should I expect during an abdominal ultrasound for pancreatic cancer?
Beth A. Schrope, MDBeth A. Schrope, MD
If you are undergoing an ultrasound test, you may be asked not to eat or drink for 6-8 hours prior t...