How is CEA used to diagnose pancreatic cancer?

Similar to CA 19-9, CEA cannot be used as a diagnostic or screening test for pancreatic cancer because both cancerous and non-cancerous conditions can increase CEA levels. Smoking, certain infections, pancreatitis, and cirrhosis of the liver can all cause elevated CEA levels.

Additionally, chemotherapy and radiation therapy can cause a temporary rise in CEA levels due to increased CEA release by tumor cells that are being destroyed.

Also similar to CA 19-9, the CEA test is best used to determine disease progression and treatment effectiveness. Your doctor may track the changes in your CEA levels throughout your treatment if you are diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

Continue Learning about Pancreatic Cancer Diagnosis

What questions will my doctor ask when checking for pancreatic cancer?
John A. ChabotJohn A. Chabot
Your doctor will take a thorough medical history in order to check for any pancreatic cancer ris...
What should I expect during an abdominal ultrasound for pancreatic cancer?
Beth A. Schrope, MDBeth A. Schrope, MD
If you are undergoing an ultrasound test, you may be asked not to eat or drink for 6-8 hours prior t...
How are imaging studies used to diagnose pancreatic cancer?
Beth A. Schrope, MDBeth A. Schrope, MD
Imaging studies provide important visual information about the pancreas and surrounding organs a...
When is CT used to diagnose pancreatic cancer?
Beth A. Schrope, MDBeth A. Schrope, MD
Computerized Tomography (CT) is one of the most common imaging studies performed when someone is...