How does a biopsy help diagnose pancreatic cancer?

If cancerous tissue is found, the shape, size, and arrangement of the cells may help your doctor determine the type and stage of pancreatic cancer present.

There are several biopsy methods. Depending on the location of the mass and your personal health history, your doctor may use any of the following methods to provide the most accurate diagnosis.

Continue Learning about Pancreatic Cancer Diagnosis

What should I expect during an MRI for pancreatic cancer?
Beth A. Schrope, MDBeth A. Schrope, MD
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) is a common diagnostic imaging study used in pancreatic cancer....
What questions will my doctor ask when checking for pancreatic cancer?
John A. ChabotJohn A. Chabot
Your doctor will take a thorough medical history in order to check for any pancreatic cancer ris...
How are imaging studies used to diagnose pancreatic cancer?
Beth A. Schrope, MDBeth A. Schrope, MD
Imaging studies provide important visual information about the pancreas and surrounding organs a...
How is CEA used to diagnose pancreatic cancer?
Beth A. Schrope, MDBeth A. Schrope, MD
Similar to CA 19-9, CEA cannot be used as a diagnostic or screening test for pancreatic cancer b...