What increases my risk for pancreatic cancer?

As you age, your risk for pancreatic cancer increases. Most cases occur in people older than 50. More men than women get pancreatic cancer. In addition, having a family member with pancreatic cancer is an indication of increased risk. Other genetic problems that increase overall cancer risk also increase the risk of pancreatic cancer.
Other risk factors include obesity, diabetes, and smoking. There is some evidence that chronic alcohol intake and abuse may be related to pancreatic cancer, because chronic alcohol intake is a cause of chronic pancreatitis which increases your risk of getting pancreatic cancer.

Other risk factors include obesity, diabetes, and smoking.

Continue Learning about Pancreatic Cancer Causes & Risk Factors

Who should be screened for pancreatic cancer?
Fay Kastrinos, MDFay Kastrinos, MD
Research has shed light on multi-organ cancer syndromes that increase the risk of developing pancrea...
How does age affect the risk of pancreatic cancer?
John A. ChabotJohn A. Chabot
The risk of developing pancreatic cancer increases after age 50. Most patients are between the ages ...
What increases my risk for stage 3 pancreatic cancer?
As you age, your risk for pancreatic cancer increases. Most cases occur in people older than 50. Mor...
Does pancreatic cancer run in families?
Ajay K. Sahajpal, MDAjay K. Sahajpal, MD
Pancreatic cancer certainly runs in families and there are specific syndromes such as: hereditary pa...