What are Pancreatic Intraepithelial Neoplasia (PanIN) lesions?

John A. Chabot
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
Pancreatic Intraepithelial Neoplasia (PanIN) lesions, like IPMNs, are recognized as precancerous lesions. PanIN lesions can also affect the cells lining the pancreatic ducts, but are normally found in the smaller, side-branches and not in the main pancreatic duct. PanIN lesions are too small to detect with the naked eye and are often diagnosed by pathologists using microscopes after a biopsy.

Continue Learning about Pancreatic Cancer Causes & Risk Factors

What increases my risk for stage 1 pancreatic cancer?
As you age, your risk for pancreatic cancer increases. Most cases occur in people older than 50. Mor...
What are the risk factors for pancreatic cancer?
The following are some risk factors for pancreatic cancer: Two or More Family Members Diagnosed Wi...
What causes stage 4 pancreatic cancer?
Like many cancers, the exact cause of pancreatic cancer is unknown. Cancer cells are the result of m...
What increases my risk for pancreatic cancer?
As you age, your risk for pancreatic cancer increases. Most cases occur in people older than 50....