Is pancreatic cancer related to genes?

Up to 15% of pancreatic cancer is related to a family history of the disease. The risk of developing pancreatic cancer increases by 2-3 times if a person's mother, father, sibling, or child had pancreatic cancer. The risk multiplies if a greater number of family members are affected. There are several inherited gene mutations that have been linked to an increased risk of pancreatic cancer including the genes responsible for breast and ovarian cancer, and melanoma.

Continue Learning about Pancreatic Cancer Causes & Risk Factors

How does diabetes increase my risk for pancreatic cancer?
Dr. Beth A. Schrope, MDDr. Beth A. Schrope, MD
Pancreatic cancer is two times more likely to occur in people who have diabetes than in people who d...
What increases my risk for stage 4 pancreatic cancer?
As you age, your risk for pancreatic cancer increases. Most cases occur in people older than 50. Mor...
What causes stage 1 pancreatic cancer?
Like many cancers, the exact causes of pancreatic cancer are unknown. Cancer cells are the result of...
How can my dental hygiene affect my risk of pancreatic cancer?
Some studies are connecting pancreatic cancer with certain types of oral bacteria. Having dental...