How does diabetes increase my risk for pancreatic cancer?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Diabetes is a disease in which the body does not adequately produce or use insulin, a hormone normally made by the pancreas. Insulin helps the body utilize glucose (sugar), allowing glucose to enter cells and be used for energy. With diabetes, you see abnormal growth of insulin, which can lead to abnormal cell growth. Additionally, in people with diabetes, the glucose remains in the blood, resulting in high blood glucose levels, which can cause cell damage and long-term complications.

Research shows that diabetes can either be a risk factor or symptom of pancreatic cancer. Most of the risk is found in people with type-2 diabetes; this type of diabetes most often starts in adulthood. For many physicians, this is the most feared cancer because it is often so difficult to detect until it gets into the advanced stages.

Diabetes is also linked to liver, uterine and bladder cancer.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.

Pancreatic cancer is two times more likely to occur in people who have diabetes than in people who do not have diabetes. However, the relationship between diabetes and pancreatic cancer is still not completely understood. It is not uncommon for individuals to develop diabetes before pancreatic cancer is detected, and it may be that this glucose intolerance is actually caused by changes in the pancreas resulting from the cancer.

Diabetes is a condition that is marked by high blood sugar and glucose intolerance. It occurs when the body does not produce enough insulin to properly metabolize, or break down, glucose in the system, or when the body cannot properly use existing insulin. Since insulin is a hormone produced in the pancreas, the development of diabetes can be linked to problems in the pancreas.

Sudden onset of diabetes in people with normal body mass index is often a warning sign of pancreatic abnormalities and can be a symptom of pancreatic cancer. Additionally, when well-controlled diabetes suddenly becomes brittle or poorly controlled, this change can also be a warning sign for pancreatic cancer.

Continue Learning about Pancreatic Cancer Causes & Risk Factors

What gene mutations increase my risk of pancreatic cancer?
John A. ChabotJohn A. Chabot
The below conditions are currently linked to pancreatic cancer: - Breast and Ovarian Cancer BRCA1...
How can my dental hygiene affect my risk of pancreatic cancer?
Some studies are connecting pancreatic cancer with certain types of oral bacteria. Having dental...
Does pancreatic cancer run in families?
Ajay K. Sahajpal, MDAjay K. Sahajpal, MD
Pancreatic cancer certainly runs in families and there are specific syndromes such as: hereditary pa...
Is pancreatic cancer related to genes?
Beth A. Schrope, MDBeth A. Schrope, MD
Up to 15% of pancreatic cancer is related to a family history of the disease. The risk of developing...