How does cigarette smoking contribute to pancreatic cancer?

Cigarette smoking ups your risk for many cancers, pancreatic included. Studies show smokers are about 1.5 to 2.5 times as likely as nonsmokers to get pancreatic cancer, and the more they smoke, the greater their risk. The good news? Quitting could save your life. Two years after smoking cessation, risk falls 48%, and over 10 to 15 years risk returns to normal. Estimates suggest that smoking cessation could cut pancreatic cancer deaths in the U.S. by 25%.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com
About 30% of pancreatic cancer cases are thought to be a direct result of cigarette smoking. People who smoke cigarettes are twice as likely to develop pancreatic cancer as people who do not smoke cigarettes. Additionally, the cancerous tumors that form as a result of cigarette smoking grow at an accelerated rate and develop approximately 10 years earlier than tumors not related to smoking.

Continue Learning about Pancreatic Cancer Causes & Risk Factors

How do soda and alcohol increase my risk of pancreatic cancer?
One important preventable risk factor for pancreatic cancer is soda and alcohol consumption. Sev...
Can sugary drinks increase risk of pancreatic cancer?
People who add sugar to coffee or tea may run a higher risk of developing cancer of the pancreas. Th...
How does my weight affect my risk of pancreatic cancer?
Having a body mass index (BMI) over 30 significantly increases risk for pancreatic cancer. One study...
How do syrup-based drinks cause pancreatic cancer?
The risk of developing pancreatic cancer is related in part to the amount of sugar in the diet. Stud...