What is paint thinner poisoning?

Paint thinner poisoning occurs when a toxic substance known as a hydrocarbon is taken into the body by mouth or by breathing. Found in such everyday products as gasoline, paint thinner, and cleaning sprays, hydrocarbons inside the body can pose a risk of great harm. Someone with severe paint thinner poisoning needs emergency hospital care, but if the hydrocarbon is determined to be nontoxic, the victim may need simply to be watched closely at home. Children and adolescents are most commonly affected.

Continue Learning about Paint Thinner Poisoning

Paint Thinner Poisoning

Paint Thinner Poisoning

Paint thinner poisoning occurs when a toxic substance, known as a hydrocarbon, is ingested by mouth or by breathing. Paint thinners, gasoline and cleaning sprays can contain these hydrocarbons. Symptoms include burning in the mout...

h, throat or stomach; vomiting; or diarrhea. A person with paint thinner poisoning may become short of breath, or even appear blue around the lips and extremities. Anyone suspected to have this poisoning should get emergency hospital care. Find out why children and adolescents are most commonly affected by this serious health condition -- plus ways to prevent and treat paint thinner poisoning -- with expert advice from Sharecare.
More

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.