Are medications used to manage paint thinner poisoning?

Medications may be used cautiously to manage paint thinner poisoning or its complications. Although forcing someone who has swallowed a hydrocarbon to vomit usually isn't advised, emptying the stomach may be necessary to prevent absorption of a hydrocarbon that's likely to harm multiple organs. A medication that's used to trigger vomiting is called syrup of ipecac.

An example of a complication of paint thinner poisoning that requires medication therapy is a development of seizures in a teenager who habitually sniffs glue. In this case, the teen may receive a muscle-relaxing drug to control the seizures.

Continue Learning about Paint Thinner Poisoning

What should I do if I suspect someone has paint thinner poisoning?
If you suspect that a child or anyone else has consumed or inhaled a hydrocarbon, call 1-800-222-122...
Will I have to manage paint thinner poisoning on a daily basis?
You may have to manage the effects of paint thinner poisoning for up to several weeks, depending on ...
Is paint thinner poisoning preventable?
Paint thinner poisoning can be prevented in several ways. One way is to use caution. Store solutions...
What is paint thinner poisoning?
Paint thinner poisoning occurs when a toxic substance known as a hydrocarbon is taken into the body ...