Is paint thinner poisoning serious?

Paint thinner poisoning can be very serious, depending on several factors. The severity varies according to the type of hydrocarbon that enters the body, the entry route, and the duration of exposure. For example, the refrigerant Freon is considered more toxic and more likely to cause harm in various body systems than gasoline. Inhaling a hydrocarbon is more dangerous than swallowing it because inhaling increases the risk of lung damage. Chronic exposure such as from habitual glue sniffing poses a greater risk of long-term serious health problems.

Continue Learning about Paint Thinner Poisoning

Paint Thinner Poisoning

Paint Thinner Poisoning

Paint thinner poisoning occurs when a toxic substance, known as a hydrocarbon, is ingested by mouth or by breathing. Paint thinners, gasoline and cleaning sprays can contain these hydrocarbons. Symptoms include burning in the mout...

h, throat or stomach; vomiting; or diarrhea. A person with paint thinner poisoning may become short of breath, or even appear blue around the lips and extremities. Anyone suspected to have this poisoning should get emergency hospital care. Find out why children and adolescents are most commonly affected by this serious health condition -- plus ways to prevent and treat paint thinner poisoning -- with expert advice from Sharecare.
More

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.