Is paint thinner poisoning preventable?

Paint thinner poisoning can be prevented in several ways. One way is to use caution. Store solutions such as household cleaners, kerosene, and paint where children can't get to them. When using these products, make sure that ventilation is adequate so you don't inhale the fumes. If you get some on your skin, wipe it off and wash the area.

The other way to prevent paint thinner poisoning is to talk with children and teenagers about the risks of drinking dangerous substances or inhaling toxic fumes. If your youngster acts irritable or shows other unusual physical or behavioral signs, investigate further to determine if they're sniffing glue or another toxic substance.

Continue Learning about Paint Thinner Poisoning

Paint Thinner Poisoning

Paint Thinner Poisoning

Paint thinner poisoning occurs when a toxic substance, known as a hydrocarbon, is ingested by mouth or by breathing. Paint thinners, gasoline and cleaning sprays can contain these hydrocarbons. Symptoms include burning in the mout...

h, throat or stomach; vomiting; or diarrhea. A person with paint thinner poisoning may become short of breath, or even appear blue around the lips and extremities. Anyone suspected to have this poisoning should get emergency hospital care. Find out why children and adolescents are most commonly affected by this serious health condition -- plus ways to prevent and treat paint thinner poisoning -- with expert advice from Sharecare.
More

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.