Is paint thinner poisoning preventable?

Paint thinner poisoning can be prevented in several ways. One way is to use caution. Store solutions such as household cleaners, kerosene, and paint where children can't get to them. When using these products, make sure that ventilation is adequate so you don't inhale the fumes. If you get some on your skin, wipe it off and wash the area.

The other way to prevent paint thinner poisoning is to talk with children and teenagers about the risks of drinking dangerous substances or inhaling toxic fumes. If your youngster acts irritable or shows other unusual physical or behavioral signs, investigate further to determine if they're sniffing glue or another toxic substance.

Continue Learning about Paint Thinner Poisoning

Is paint thinner poisoning serious?
Paint thinner poisoning can be very serious, depending on several factors. The severity varies accor...
What is paint thinner poisoning?
Paint thinner poisoning occurs when a toxic substance known as a hydrocarbon is taken into the body ...
What should I do if I suspect someone has paint thinner poisoning?
If you suspect that a child or anyone else has consumed or inhaled a hydrocarbon, call 1-800-222-122...
What are the treatment options for paint thinner poisoning?
If the type of hydrocarbon is not likely to cause damage throughout the body, emptying the victim's ...