What should I do if I suspect someone has paint thinner poisoning?

If you suspect that a child or anyone else has consumed or inhaled a hydrocarbon, call 1-800-222-1222 right away, even if the person does not have symptoms. This number will connect you to the nearest poison center at any time, day or night. A specially trained person there will ask questions and explain what you should do. If the container of the suspected substance is labeled, have it nearby because the information will help the expert determine what to do, including whether to administer first aid.

Continue Learning about Paint Thinner Poisoning

Are there any other treatments for paint thinner poisoning?
Several non-medication treatments may be used to manage respiratory problems in someone with paint t...
Are medications used to manage paint thinner poisoning?
Medications may be used cautiously to manage paint thinner poisoning or its complications. Although ...
Does paint thinner poisoning affect children differently than adults?
About half the cases of paint thinner poisoning involve young children, and certain factors may infl...
Is paint thinner poisoning preventable?
Paint thinner poisoning can be prevented in several ways. One way is to use caution. Store solutions...