Q

Paint Thinner Poisoning

How do I care for someone following paint thinner poisoning?

• Home care for someone with paint thinner poisoning may involve helping with treatments for lung inflammation caused by hydrocarbon exposure. These treatments may include oxygen therapy and medications. If the victim is on oxygen therapy, you'll have to learn how to use the oxygen system to deliver the correct amount. Medications prescribed to reduce lung inflammation include corticosteroids, which act on the immune system and increase the chance of getting infections. If the victim has an infection, antibiotic therapy may be necessary.

This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
Will I have to manage paint thinner poisoning on a daily basis?