What are the symptoms of primary dysmenorrhea?

Symptoms of primary dysmenorrhea include pulsating abdominal pain, cramps, lower back and leg pain, distended abdomen, and stool change. The symptoms are caused by the high levels of prostaglandins that trigger contractions and cramping that lead to pain in the abdomen and back. 

The extra prostaglandins released during your body's preparation for menstruation can also cause distention or swelling of the abdomen. You may also notice a change in your stool when experiencing primary dysmenorrhea. Some women have constipation, while others have looser stools or diarrhea.

Continue Learning about Dysmenorrhea (Painful Periods)

What is dysmenorrhea?
Dysmenorrhea is a medical term that means "pain with menstruation." There are two classifications of...
Should I talk to my doctor about my dysmenorrhea symptoms?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
One out of two women who have their period suffer from dysmenorrhea. Most women who experience prima...
Does secondary dysmenorrhea affect fertility?
Secondary dysmenorrhea affects the body by causing pain and discomfort in the back and abdomen every...
Is there a cure for primary dysmenorrhea?
There is no cure for primary dysmenorrhea, although symptoms may lessen and eventually go away over ...