What causes primary dysmenorrhea?

Primary dysmenorrhea is caused by excess release of prostaglandin, a chemical your body produces to assist in the shedding of the uterine lining. Prostaglandin causes contractions in the uterus, the greater amount of prostaglandin released by your body the stronger and more frequent the uterine contractions will be.

The contractions also can restrict blood flow to the uterus. The longer and more frequent the contraction the less blood that can get through the veins to nourish the reproductive area. Areas that receive restricted blood flow can suffer pain. Prostaglandin can also affect the nerves in the reproductive area causing them to be more sensitive to pain and discomfort.

Continue Learning about Dysmenorrhea (Painful Periods)

Should I talk to my doctor about my dysmenorrhea symptoms?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
One out of two women who have their period suffer from dysmenorrhea. Most women who experience prima...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with dysmenorrhea?
Dysmenorrhea refers to intense pain and cramping during menstruation, which usually begins in adoles...
What is primary dysmenorrhea?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Primary dysmenorrhea is the technical phrase for the cramping pain that accompanies your menstrual p...
Can dysmenorrhea be prevented?
Dysmenorrhea, intense pain and cramping caused by menstruation, occurs naturally in many women. Trea...