What is the rate of incidence for dysmenorrhea?

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health

Rates of dysmenorrhea reported in scientific journals vary widely from between 16% to 91% of women with severe pain in 2% to 29% of the women. Women who are younger, who have not had a baby, are not using hormonal contraception such as the pill, patch or ring, or who have a family history where there is dysmenorrhea are more likely to have painful periods.

One in every two women who have their period suffer from dysmenorrhea, or intense pain and cramping during menstruation. Three out of four women with dysmenorrhea have primary dysmenorrhea. One in four women with dysmenorrhea has a secondary form caused by an underlying gynecological condition. It is estimated that five to 15 percent of women with primary dysmenorrhea suffer from pain that hinders their ability to do everyday tasks. 

Continue Learning about Dysmenorrhea (Painful Periods)

What do I need to know about caring for someone with dysmenorrhea?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Dysmenorrhea refers to intense pain and cramping during menstruation, which usually begins in adoles...
What is primary dysmenorrhea?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Primary dysmenorrhea is the technical phrase for the cramping pain that accompanies your menstrual p...
Why do I have such severe abdominal pain during my period?
Abdominal pain during your period could mean more than normal cramping -- it could be a sign of endo...
How is primary dysmenorrhea diagnosed?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Primary dysmenorrhea is usually diagnosed by physical exam. The doctor will want to know about sympt...