How do I manage my dysmenorrhea on a daily basis?

Managing primary dysmenorrhea on a daily basis requires exercising, plenty of sleep, pain management, and eating a healthy diet. While primary dysmenorrhea tends to affect women one week out of every month, it is beneficial to take daily steps to minimize the effects of primary dysmenorrhea.

Exercising often and getting plenty of rest around the time of your period, as well as the rest of the month, may decrease the level of discomfort and irritability that accompanies primary dysmenorrhea by increasing blood flow and the production of endorphins. Eating a healthy diet can reduce cramps and bloating.

Talk to your doctor about pain management and taking anti-inflammatory medication one to three days before your period is scheduled to begin to ward off symptoms of primary dysmenorrhea. Use heat and relaxation techniques to ease your muscles and stay on top of the discomfort. If these actions fail to help you cope with the pain, you may consider trying hormonal contraception such as pills or the vaginal ring.

Continue Learning about Dysmenorrhea (Painful Periods)

Is there a cure for secondary dysmenorrhea?
There is often a cure for the underlying conditions that cause secondary dysmenorrhea. Many treatmen...
What is primary dysmenorrhea?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Primary dysmenorrhea is the technical phrase for the cramping pain that accompanies your menstrual p...
Is there a cure for primary dysmenorrhea?
There is no cure for primary dysmenorrhea, although symptoms may lessen and eventually go away over ...
What should I do if my teenage daughter complains of painful periods?
Dr. Diana K. Blythe, MDDr. Diana K. Blythe, MD
If your teenage daughter complains of painful periods, try this before going to a specialist. On th...