How do other illnesses affect dysmenorrhea?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Other illnesses generally do not have an effect on primary dysmenorrhea. One defining characteristic of primary dysmenorrhea is that it is not caused by an underlying illness. If an underlying illness exists that affects the symptoms of primary dysmenorrhea, then you should talk to your doctor about secondary dysmenorrhea.

Some illnesses can cause secondary dysmenorrhea. Secondary dysmenorrhea is a condition that presents with similar symptoms to primary dysmenorrhea but is caused by an underlying illness rather than increased levels of prostaglandin in your body. One out of every four women with dysmenorrhea has an underlying gynecological condition that is causing this intense pain and cramping. For example, a sexually transmitted disease like chlamydia or gonorrhea may cause pelvic inflammatory disease, which can lead to secondary dysmenorrhea. Other conditions including endometriosis, fibroids and ovarian cysts may also cause secondary dysmenorrhea. If after a few months symptoms of dysmenorrhea have persisted despite relaxation techniques and over-the-counter medications, talk to your doctor to see if an underlying condition is responsible.

Continue Learning about Dysmenorrhea (Painful Periods)

How is dysmenorrhea different from premenstrual syndrome (PMS)?
Dysmenorrhea and premenstrual syndrome (PMS) both refer to conditions that can affect menstruating w...
Does secondary dysmenorrhea affect fertility?
Secondary dysmenorrhea affects the body by causing pain and discomfort in the back and abdomen every...
What is the rate of incidence for dysmenorrhea?
Patricia Geraghty, NPPatricia Geraghty, NP
Rates of dysmenorrhea reported in scientific journals vary widely from between 16% to 91% of women w...
Should I talk to my doctor about my dysmenorrhea symptoms?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
One out of two women who have their period suffer from dysmenorrhea. Most women who experience prima...