How is primary dysmenorrhea diagnosed?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Primary dysmenorrhea is usually diagnosed by physical exam. The doctor will want to know about symptoms and medical history, especially other medical conditions and medications taken. However your doctor may wish to take blood tests, cultures, imaging tests, and/or a laparoscopy to rule out other possible causes of the pain.

A pregnancy test may rule out an ectopic pregnancy; cultures may rule out the possibility of a sexually transmitted disease. Imaging tests such as an ultrasound or MRI may be ordered to look for fibroids, or other abnormalities in the uterus and adjoining reproductive organs.

Primary dysmenorrhea will not be diagnosed if there is an underlying cause discovered. An underlying cause will likely point to secondary dysmenorrhea, which is diagnosed by pelvic exam, cultures, imaging tests, blood tests and laparoscopy.

Continue Learning about Dysmenorrhea (Painful Periods)

Should I talk to my doctor about my dysmenorrhea symptoms?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
One out of two women who have their period suffer from dysmenorrhea. Most women who experience prima...
What is primary dysmenorrhea?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Primary dysmenorrhea is the technical phrase for the cramping pain that accompanies your menstrual p...
How is dysmenorrhea different from premenstrual syndrome (PMS)?
Dysmenorrhea and premenstrual syndrome (PMS) both refer to conditions that can affect menstruating w...
Is there a cure for dysmenorrhea?
Curing dysmenorrhea, or intense pain and cramps during menstruation, is dependent on its underlying ...