How is primary dysmenorrhea diagnosed?

Primary dysmenorrhea is usually diagnosed by physical exam. The doctor will want to know about symptoms and medical history, especially other medical conditions and medications taken. However your doctor may wish to take blood tests, cultures, imaging tests, and/or a laparoscopy to rule out other possible causes of the pain.

A pregnancy test may rule out an ectopic pregnancy; cultures may rule out the possibility of a sexually transmitted disease. Imaging tests such as an ultrasound or MRI may be ordered to look for fibroids, or other abnormalities in the uterus and adjoining reproductive organs.

Primary dysmenorrhea will not be diagnosed if there is an underlying cause discovered. An underlying cause will likely point to secondary dysmenorrhea, which is diagnosed by pelvic exam, cultures, imaging tests, blood tests and laparoscopy.

Continue Learning about Dysmenorrhea (Painful Periods)

What is the rate of incidence for dysmenorrhea?
Patricia Geraghty, NPPatricia Geraghty, NP
Rates of dysmenorrhea reported in scientific journals vary widely from between 16% to 91% of women w...
What is primary dysmenorrhea?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Primary dysmenorrhea is the technical phrase for the cramping pain that accompanies your menstrual p...
Should I talk to my doctor about my dysmenorrhea symptoms?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
One out of two women who have their period suffer from dysmenorrhea. Most women who experience prima...
What is dysmenorrhea?
Dysmenorrhea is a medical term that means "pain with menstruation." There are two classifications of...