Does primary dysmenorrhea affect fertility?

Primary dysmenorrhea does not affect your fertility. The most common cause of primary dysmenorrhea is the increase of prostaglandins that lead to uterine contractions, sensitive nerve endings, and can affect your digestive tract by triggering nausea and stool change.

Elevated levels of prostaglandins have not been found to affect getting pregnant or carrying a baby to term. In fact, your levels of prostaglandin increase at the same time an egg is released by your body. When you become pregnant your body is no longer releasing eggs and your prostaglandin levels are no longer being triggered to elevate.

Continue Learning about Dysmenorrhea (Painful Periods)

Is there a cure for primary dysmenorrhea?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
There is no cure for primary dysmenorrhea, although symptoms may lessen and eventually go away over ...
What is the rate of incidence for dysmenorrhea?
Patricia Geraghty, NPPatricia Geraghty, NP
Rates of dysmenorrhea reported in scientific journals vary widely from between 16% to 91% of women w...
Should I talk to my doctor about my dysmenorrhea symptoms?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
One out of two women who have their period suffer from dysmenorrhea. Most women who experience prima...
What should I do if my teenage daughter complains of painful periods?
West Valley Medical CenterWest Valley Medical Center
If your teenage daughter complains of painful periods, try anti-inflammatories first. If pain persis...