Why can't we stop pain completely?

Pain has a protective function in our body, which is why we don't want to stop it completely, says Devi Nampiaparampil, MD, chief of pain management at Veterans Affairs. In this video she explains why doctors don't want to stop pain altogether.

Continue Learning about Pain Treatment

Is Your OTC Pain Reliever Making You Heartless?
The ability to put yourself in someone else’s shoes is at the heart of the Sandra Bullock/Quinton Aaron film The Blind Side, based on the true story o...
How do topical medications relieve foot pain?
Christopher Chiodo, MDChristopher Chiodo, MD
Topical pain medications are available in lotion, cream, or gel form. They are spread on the ski...
Who is a candidate for intrathecal drug delivery?
There is some evidence that the best candidates are those who experience relief of lower back pain f...
What Can I Do for Pain If Prescription Drugs Don’t Work Anymore?