When can I expect pain relief after a spinal injection?

This is what you can expect for pain relief after a spinal injection:
  • If your injection was meant to diagnose pain, you should feel relief right away from the anesthetic, but the relief will end in about an hour or so. You may need more than one injection for the doctor to diagnose the pain.
  • If your injection was meant to reduce inflammation and relieve pain, it can take a few days, or even a week, to feel relief. Your pain will go away slowly and steadily. The injection may not relieve all your pain, but it may relieve enough of the pain to allow you to move around more easily. This can help you recover faster. How long you can expect pain relief to last depends on how many areas are injured and the amount of inflammation you have. Some people may need more than one injection to feel relief.

Continue Learning about Pain Treatment

How to Manage Pain With NSAIDs Safely
How to Manage Pain With NSAIDs Safely
Approximately 39 million Americans suffer from migraines and headaches. On top of that, 100 million Americans live with chronic pain, so it’s no surpr...
What lifestyle changes can help my chest pain?
Riverside Heart and Vascular CenterRiverside Heart and Vascular Center
To help reduce your chest pain, live a healthy lifestyle by not smoking, and by losing weight if you...
How can I use visualization to relieve pain?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Simply thinking about your pain can create more pain, which is why relaxation therapies such as ...
What Are Natural Treatments for Pain?
What Are Natural Treatments for Pain?