When should I give pain medicine to my child after lower spine surgery?

After lower spine surgery, give your child pain medicine as your doctor ordered it. NEVER give your child pain medicine on an empty stomach. Food or drink will decrease the chance of nausea. Your child's need for pain medicine will decrease after a few days. Your doctor may suggest that you give Tylenol or ibuprofen in the right dosage for pain. The doctor may also have you give Lortab or Tylenol with codeine. Both of these medicines have Tylenol in them, so be sure not to give more Tylenol if your child is getting this stronger medicine.

Continue Learning about Pain Treatment

Is Your OTC Pain Reliever Making You Heartless?
The ability to put yourself in someone else’s shoes is at the heart of the Sandra Bullock/Quinton Aaron film The Blind Side, based on the true story o...
Does TENS nerve stimulation help treat temporomandibular joint pain (TMJ)?
John Van der Werff, DDSJohn Van der Werff, DDS
I have found it to be very helpful, especially if used in conjunction with acupuncture points utiliz...
How does physical therapy help treat knee pain?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Physical therapy helps treat knee pain by restoring the range of motion. Most knee pain creates a de...
Should You Use Heat or Ice for Pain?
Should You Use Heat or Ice for Pain?