What are the risks of spinal and epidural anesthesia?

Spinal and Epidural anesthesia are very safe and effective means of controlling pain both during and after surgery. The main risks are the following:

1. Anytime you break through the skin's natural protective layer, there is an increased risk of infection
  2. There is also a risk of bleeding, both internally and externally. If you are at high risk for this (i.e. on Coumadin, Plavix or aspirin), your labs will be checked before the procedure to minimize this risk
  3. Increased risk of headache as a small hole is introduced into the central nervous system's encasing. Headaches are usually short lived if they are present. 

As always with any procedure, the risks are less in skilled hands than in novice hands. 

Continue Learning about Pain Treatment

Opioid Use for Chronic and Acute Pain
Opioid Use for Chronic and Acute Pain
People across the country who are dealing with serious acute and chronic pain issues are becoming increasingly alarmed and confused about whether thei...
What are some noninvasive therapies for neck and back pain?
Gerald M. SilvermanGerald M. Silverman
Conservative, noninvasive therapies -- those that don't require surgeries or injections -- are a...
Who is a good candidate for X-ray guided interventional therapy?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Patients in whom the cause and location of pain have been identified are the best candidates for X-r...
What Can I Use to Ease Sore Muscles and Joints?