What medications help treat nerve pain in the feet?

Christopher Chiodo, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
Pain caused by nerve damage may not respond well to the usual pain relievers, so doctors rely on other medications. Two mainstays in treating nerve pain in the feet include the antidepressant amitriptyline (Elavil), which increases the levels of brain chemicals that ratchet down pain signals, and the anticonvulsant gabapentin (Neurontin), which apparently works by interfering with nerve signaling involved in pain as well as seizures. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved pregabalin (Lyrica), a medication for nerve pain relief that also doubles as an antiseizure medication, and duloxetine (Cymbalta), an antidepressant, for nerve pain associated with diabetes.

Continue Learning about Pain Treatment

Is Your OTC Pain Reliever Making You Heartless?
The ability to put yourself in someone else’s shoes is at the heart of the Sandra Bullock/Quinton Aaron film The Blind Side, based on the true story o...
Can I continue taking my medication if I'm having a spinal injection?
North American Spine Society (NASS)North American Spine Society (NASS)
If you are having a spinal injection, you may need to stop taking some of your medication before the...
Are there alternative treatments for central pain syndrome?
Because trying to find a treatment to relieve the often severe pain is difficult, central pain syndr...
Help Relieve Pain With Strong Relationships