What kind of anesthesia might my child get in the hospital?

Local numbing is used for minor procedures, such as stitches or wart removal. It involves injecting a local anesthetic into the surgical area to block pain. The patient remains awake.

Regional anesthesia, such as an epidural, is used to numb a bigger area of the body, such as the legs. The anesthesiologist injects a numbing agent around major nerves to block pain. In kids, regional anesthesia may be given for procedures involving the abdomen, arms, or legs. The patient remains awake, but often children are also given a sedative to help them relax.

Sedation, sometimes referred to as “twilight sleep,” is used to relieve anxiety and/or pain during a procedure. If your child receives regional or even local anesthesia for a procedure, he will be awake for it, but a sedative will likely be combined with the anesthesia to improve his comfort level—and decrease his squirminess.

General anesthesia is the out-cold variety. If your child needs surgery, the anesthesiologist will most likely recommend going this route because young children simply can’t stay still during most operations, even relatively minor ones. The anesthesiologist administers the anesthesia through an IV drip and/ or an inhaled gas. General anesthesia affects the brain as well as the entire body, so your child will not feel pain or remember the surgery. Know, too, that your child will have a breathing tube and be hooked up to a ventilator to assist him in breathing while under general anesthesia.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Pain Treatment

Pain, The Opioid Epidemic and How Health Care Has to Improve
Opioid addiction is a national epidemic—and so is chronic pain. Could there be a relationship? 1.  In 2015, 2 million Americans had a substance use d...
How do medications treat central pain syndrome?
Because individuals with central pain syndrome suffer from various levels of pain in different parts...
Can I continue taking my medication if I'm having a spinal injection?
North American Spine Society (NASS)North American Spine Society (NASS)
If you are having a spinal injection, you may need to stop taking some of your medication before the...
What Are the Risks of Using Opioid Pain Medication?