What is disc decompression?

Gary E. Kraus, MD
Neurosurgery
Intervertebral discs are shock absorbers which act as cushions between the vertebral bodies of the spine.  When an intervertebral disc is injured (either through trauma or a chronic aging process), the outer walls of the disc, known as the annulus fibrosis, begin to crack, and the inner soft material, known as nucleus pulposus, may begin to extrude between the outer fibers of the annulus. When the disc ruptures entirely out of the disc space, it may compress upon nerves. This may cause pain in the extremities that are supplied by these nerves.
Disk decompression involves inserting a fine tube into a spinal disk to draw out part of the gel center, the nucleus pulposus. The gel center can bulge out of a slipped or herniated disk and press on a spinal nerve, causing persistent pain.  Watch the video to learn more about disk decompression.

Continue Learning about Pain Treatment

The Pain-Fighting Power of Saffron
The Pain-Fighting Power of Saffron
Did you know it takes 70,000 to 250,000 purple saffron crocuses to make one pound of the amber-red seasoning (it’s made from dried stigma, the part of...
What should I consider before using topical pain relievers?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
There are a few important points to consider if you decide to try topical pain relievers.Discuss thi...
What are the benefits of total shoulder resurfacing?
John W. Uribe, MDJohn W. Uribe, MD
Total shoulder resurfacing is far less invasive than traditional shoulder replacement surgery, and p...
What Can I Use to Ease Sore Muscles and Joints?