What exercise can help my shoulder and back pain from carrying kids?

Sadie Lincoln
Sadie Lincoln on behalf of barre3
Fitness
Focus on keeping your shoulders even, broad and down your back. Notice if one shoulder hikes up higher than the other. Just becoming aware of these imbalances, and adjusting, is an excellent start. It is likely you are spending time with your shoulders rounded over your child. Good exercises to combat this weakness in your upper body, associated with hunching, is supported back bends.

Strengthening the muscles of the core, back, and shoulders can ease shoulder and back pain from carrying kids. Next time you’re at the fitness center, add in some rowing or pulling exercises and use different grips (ie. Palms down, palms facing each other). Also perform 2-3 core exercises such as planks, floor bridges, and/or stability ball crunches.

Continue Learning about Pain Treatment

Is Your OTC Pain Reliever Making You Heartless?
The ability to put yourself in someone else’s shoes is at the heart of the Sandra Bullock/Quinton Aaron film The Blind Side, based on the true story o...
How should I use ice and heat to treat pain?
Lori Smatt, DCLori Smatt, DC
To treat pain, you should only use ice in the first 48 hours after injury; then a combination of hea...
How can stem cell research advance pain treatment?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Stem cells mobilize to injured areas to help repair damage causing pain. Treatments reproduce the na...
What Are Natural Treatments for Pain?
What Are Natural Treatments for Pain?