What should I consider before using topical pain relievers?

Grant Cooper, MD
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation

There are a few important points to consider if you decide to try topical pain relievers.

• Discuss this option with your doctor before using any analgesic; the fact that they are available without a prescription does not mean they are harmless.
  • Purchase products that do not have an offensive odor and are not too messy. If it is unpleasant to use, chances are that you won't use it.
  • Never place any topical medication over an open wound or sore.
  • Buy products from reputable companies. Some over-the-counter topical analgesics have been found to have inert or even harmful substances.
  • Wash your hands after using the topical agent to prevent accidental spreading to your mucous membranes, such as your eyes, nose, or mouth.
The Arthritis Handbook: Improve Your Health and Manage the Pain of Osteoarthritis (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

According to conventional wisdom, arthritis pain is an inevitable part of aging. Not so, says Dr. Grant Cooper in this practical, accessible guide. For those who do develop osteoarthritic conditions,...

Continue Learning about Pain Treatment

How to Manage Pain With NSAIDs Safely
How to Manage Pain With NSAIDs Safely
Approximately 39 million Americans suffer from migraines and headaches. On top of that, 100 million Americans live with chronic pain, so it’s no surpr...
How do I know whether to use ice or heat for pain?
Dr. Jared Salinsky, DODr. Jared Salinsky, DO
You won't likely need to alternate ice and heat to treat an injury. In this video, Jared Salinsky, D...
What will happen when I check in for my spinal injection?
North American Spine Society (NASS)North American Spine Society (NASS)
On the day of your spinal injection, you should arrive a little early to fill out any necessary pape...
What Can I Use to Ease Sore Muscles and Joints?