What are the different classes of antispasmodic drugs for abdominal pain?

William B. Salt II., MD
Gastroenterology
There are three classes of antispasmodics, or drugs that decrease gut contraction and spasm:
  • Anticholinergics work by blocking the effects of the parasympathetic branch of the autonomic nervous system. Examples include dicyclomine (Bentyl is a brand name), hyoscyamine (brand names Anaspaz, Levsin, Levsinex and NuLev), glycopyrrolate (brand name Robinul), methscopolamine bromide (brand name Pamine) and propantheline (a brand name is Probanthine).  One drug (a brand name is Librax) is an anticholinergic drug called clidinium combined with a benzodiazepine antianxiety drug called chlordiazepoxide. Another (brand names Donnatal and Donnatal Extentabs) combines two anticholinergic drugs called atropine and scopolamine with a barbiturate antianxiety drug called phenobarbital.
  • Direct smooth muscle relaxants act directly upon the smooth muscle of the gut. Studies show that the direct smooth muscle relaxants may be the most effective of the antispasmodics, but these drugs are not available in the United States. Examples of direct smooth muscle relaxant drugs include octylonium, mebeverine and trimebutine.
  • Peppermint oil is thought to work by decreasing calcium entry into muscle cells, resulting in muscle relaxation. Enteric-coated preparations may be preferable to unprotected peppermint because they allow delivery of the peppermint oil to the colon. Peppermint oil may or may not be effective. Scientific studies of the oil's use are inconclusive.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome & the MindBodySpirit Connection: 7 Steps for Living a Healthy Life with a Functional Bowel Disorder, Crohn's Disease, or Colitis (Mind-Body-Spirit Connection Series.)

Fast Facts on IBS: One in five people suffers from the frustrating symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). There is no simple answer--no pill, potion, or quick fix--that will cure IBS. But help...

Continue Learning about Pain Treatment

Is Your OTC Pain Reliever Making You Heartless?
The ability to put yourself in someone else’s shoes is at the heart of the Sandra Bullock/Quinton Aaron film The Blind Side, based on the true story o...
What are some over-the-counter remedies for knee pain?
Here area couple of things you can buy at the drugstore that might provide relief from knee pain:Cap...
What are some natural remedies for body aches?
When your body aches are the kind that won't quit (e.g., chronic back pain or arthritis), painkiller...
How Can Changing My Lifestyle Help Ease My Pain?