What body parts should be looked at when treating shoulder pain?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
There are three players we will be highlighting to guide you through fixing your shoulder pain. The first is the shoulder blade (scapula). The scapula's function is to support the arm when it moves. The second player is the upper arm bone (humerus), which is affected by how much support it receives from the scapula as well as a few key muscles. The third player is the forearm whose function is largely determined by the upper arm bone as well as a couple key muscles. As you can guess, forearm movement is therefore significantly affected by the shoulder blade.
Fixing You: Shoulder & Elbow Pain: Self-treatment for rotator cuff strain, shoulder impingement, tennis elbow, golfer's elbow, and other diagnoses.

The shoulders are a floating system on the trunk, held in place and moved by muscular control. The foundation of shoulder movement is the shoulder blade which has precise resting and moving...

Continue Learning about Pain Treatment

The Pain-Fighting Power of Saffron
The Pain-Fighting Power of Saffron
Did you know it takes 70,000 to 250,000 purple saffron crocuses to make one pound of the amber-red seasoning (it’s made from dried stigma, the part of...
How do I get rid of the nagging pain in the back of my shoulder?
A quick exercise you can do to potentially help the symptom is to foam roll your shoulder. This ...
How will my child's pain be managed after surgery?
Use these tips to make sure your child doesn’t suffer unnecessarily:Before surgery, a nurse will pro...
What Is Cold Laser Therapy?
What Is Cold Laser Therapy?