How can I use visualization to relieve pain?

Simply thinking about your pain can create more pain, which is why relaxation therapies such as visualization can help reduce pain. To practice visualization, take a time-out in a quiet environment without distractions. During this time, try to visualize a peaceful, relaxing scene, perhaps a vacation spot you have enjoyed—a photograph of a mountain sunset, soft, pink clouds in a light blue sky, or an early morning sunrise at the beach. Focus on this scene in your mind, and try to recapture the moment as you imagine the sounds, smells, textures, and feelings you would experience. As you visualize the serenity of the scene, become mindful of your breathing and anxiety level. If you still feel tense, breathe deeply from your abdomen to increase relaxation. Don’t let outside stimuli interrupt your imagery time. Once you have learned how to relax with visualization, keep a picture or photograph of the scene with you.
Diet for a Pain-Free Life: A Revolutionary Plan to Lose Weight, Stop Pain, Sleep Better and Feel Great in 21 Days, ADA...sound nutritional advice...do-able, delicious..a godsend to pain sufferers.

Do you wake up each morning aching with joint or muscle pain? Have you been trying to lose stubborn belly fat for years? Do you wish you could be active without pain medications? Look no further:...

Continue Learning about Pain Treatment

Is Your OTC Pain Reliever Making You Heartless?
The ability to put yourself in someone else’s shoes is at the heart of the Sandra Bullock/Quinton Aaron film The Blind Side, based on the true story o...
What is cold laser therapy?
Steven Shoshany, DCSteven Shoshany, DC
Cold laser therapy is approved by the FDA for the temporary relief of pain. In this video, chiroprac...
I am having the same pain after surgery, should I see a new doctor?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Pain after surgery requires immediate evaluation. See your original surgeon and discuss findings and...
Should Opioids be Prescribed for All Types of Pain?