What are trigger point injections (TPI)?

A trigger point injection is an injection (shot) into a painful area of muscle. Normal muscles tighten and relax as you use them. A trigger point is a tight knot or band of muscle that forms when a muscle will not relax. They can be very painful. An injection into the trigger point can help it relax and relieve the pain. Trigger point injections are usually accompanied by muscle strengthening and flexibility exercises. Many patients receive a series of trigger point injections, usually a few weeks apart.

Dr. Howard S. Smith
Pain Medicine Specialist

Trigger point injections are sometimes given for neck pain, headaches, and low back pain to treat muscle spasm and other soft tissue problems. These injections of medications such as a local anesthetic or cortisone derivative are given directly into the painful site to alleviate pain and inflammation.

Continue Learning about Pain Treatment

How to Manage Pain With NSAIDs Safely
How to Manage Pain With NSAIDs Safely
Approximately 39 million Americans suffer from migraines and headaches. On top of that, 100 million Americans live with chronic pain, so it’s no surpr...
I have a sharp pain under my knee cap, what can I do to stop that?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
The best advice will be to see your physician or orthopedic. When you feel pain, you should stop exe...
How long does it take for a spinal injection to work?
North American Spine Society (NASS)North American Spine Society (NASS)
If you have had a spinal injection, it takes a few days, even a week or longer, for the steroid medi...
Can Alternative Medicine Help Treat Neck and Back Pain?