Why did I start rehabilitation even before my wound was healed?

Even before the amputated limb is fully closed, there will be healthcare professionals meeting with you during pre-prosthetic rehabilitation. During this time, doctors will make sure you have adequate pain control. Psychologists, counselors, and clergy will talk with you to offer emotional support as you deal with the acceptance of the trauma and limb loss. Other rehab specialists will make sure there is no skin breakdown at the site of amputation and check for other problems that can hinder your recovery.

Because losing a limb is a traumatic event, you’ll see physical and occupational therapists during this time as they explain some of the changes you will encounter in the coming months and years, including the changes in movement and physical activities, changes in activities of daily living (ADL) such as dressing and cooking, changes in recreational activities, and changes in how you deal with colleagues and friends who may not know what to say about the limb loss.

Continue Learning about Pain Treatment

Warning: Diclofenac Can Increase Risk of Heart Complications
Voltaren is a US brand name for a strong-armed NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug) called diclofenac that’s recently been called out by Danis...
Why can't we stop pain completely?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Pain has a protective function in our body, which is why we don't want to stop it completely, says D...
What side effects should be reported to my doctor after a spinal injection?
North American Spine Society (NASS)North American Spine Society (NASS)
It is possible that serious side effects may occur following a spinal injection procedure. Call your...
What Are Natural Treatments for Pain?
What Are Natural Treatments for Pain?