How can I use progressive muscle relaxation to relieve pain?

Harris H. McIlwain, MD
Rheumatology
This exercise involves contracting and then relaxing all the different muscle groups in the body, beginning with your head and neck and progressing down to your arms, chest, back, stomach, pelvis, legs, and feet. To do this exercise, you focus on each set of muscles, tense these muscles to the count of 10, then release to the count of 10. Go slowly as you progress throughout your body, taking as long as you can. Get in touch with each part and feel the tension you are experiencing. Notice how it feels to be tension free as you release the muscle.

Studies show that when you can create a strong mental image using this type of relaxation technique, you actually feel “removed” from cumbersome stress and the pain response. This mindfulness, or focusing all attention on what you feel at the moment, can help you move beyond the pain you may feel as you become centered in a world of health and inner healing.
Diet for a Pain-Free Life: A Revolutionary Plan to Lose Weight, Stop Pain, Sleep Better and Feel Great in 21 Days, ADA...sound nutritional advice...do-able, delicious..a godsend to pain sufferers.

Do you wake up each morning aching with joint or muscle pain? Have you been trying to lose stubborn belly fat for years? Do you wish you could be active without pain medications? Look no further:...
I find that many women who suffer with chronic pain are unaware of the enormous amount of tension they hold in their bodies. Many have experienced relief with progressive muscle relaxation, as they reverse the muscle tightness and tension before it triggers pain. This mind/body technique involves contracting, then relaxing all the different muscle groups in the body, beginning with your head and neck and progressing down to your arms, chest, back, stomach, pelvis, legs and feet.

Continue Learning about Pain Treatment

Opioid Use for Chronic and Acute Pain
Opioid Use for Chronic and Acute Pain
People across the country who are dealing with serious acute and chronic pain issues are becoming increasingly alarmed and confused about whether thei...
How are injections used to relieve pain?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Injection treatments like local anesthetics (such as Novocain), with or without cortisone-like medic...
Why is a metal plate attached to the fusion in ACDF surgery?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
In an anterior cervical discectomy and fusion (ACDF), the metal plate attached to the fusion helps t...
What Can I Use to Ease Sore Muscles and Joints?