I have a sharp pain under my knee cap, what can I do to stop that?

The best advice will be to see your physician or orthopedic. When you feel pain, you should stop exercise and seek advice of a medical professional.

Pain under the knee cap can be caused by many different things. What I see most commonly is people have a lot of tightness in the outside of their calves as well as the outside of the hip. This tends to make the knee not move as well as it should and then the knee cap does not track like it should. Sometimes people will call this patella-femoral pain syndrome where they hear a clicking or a discomfort where the knee cap is not in the groove or the notch that it is supposed to be in and as the knee continues to move, it just irritates the tissue underneath the knee and around the knee. Flexibility techniques for the ankle and hip are extremely important as well as core stability exercises for the abdominals and the glutes, they can help to keep the things in the pelvis in line that can keep the knee in a safe position. So regular flexibility program always done before activity and if you are not being regularly physically active, then you can just think of doing that at night before you go to bed, this can help. Getting massage or soft tissue work on the IT Band (outer thigh) and just above the knee is another good idea. Again if you do not see improvements in discomfort or pain, feel free to talk to your physician or a licensed healthcare practitioner to make sure that there is not a more serious situation.

Continue Learning about Pain Treatment

The Pain-Fighting Power of Saffron
The Pain-Fighting Power of Saffron
Did you know it takes 70,000 to 250,000 purple saffron crocuses to make one pound of the amber-red seas...
How soon can stem-cell therapy be used to treat my pain?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Though no stem-cell therapy is currently approved by the FDA, research is underway to get FDA approv...
What should I do if my shoes hurt my feet?
Christopher Chiodo, MDChristopher Chiodo, MD
If you have foot discomfort in a particular pair of shoes, your first step should be to invest i...
The Heat and Electrotherapy Solution for Your Pain