I have a sharp pain under my knee cap, what can I do to stop that?

The best advice will be to see your physician or orthopedic. When you feel pain, you should stop exercise and seek advice of a medical professional.

Pain under the knee cap can be caused by many different things. What I see most commonly is people have a lot of tightness in the outside of their calves as well as the outside of the hip. This tends to make the knee not move as well as it should and then the knee cap does not track like it should. Sometimes people will call this patella-femoral pain syndrome where they hear a clicking or a discomfort where the knee cap is not in the groove or the notch that it is supposed to be in and as the knee continues to move, it just irritates the tissue underneath the knee and around the knee. Flexibility techniques for the ankle and hip are extremely important as well as core stability exercises for the abdominals and the glutes, they can help to keep the things in the pelvis in line that can keep the knee in a safe position. So regular flexibility program always done before activity and if you are not being regularly physically active, then you can just think of doing that at night before you go to bed, this can help. Getting massage or soft tissue work on the IT Band (outer thigh) and just above the knee is another good idea. Again if you do not see improvements in discomfort or pain, feel free to talk to your physician or a licensed healthcare practitioner to make sure that there is not a more serious situation.

Continue Learning about Pain Treatment

Pain Treatment

Pain Treatment

Pain treatment varies depending on the severity of an injury or cause of the pain. Analgesics, or pain relievers, may be your first step. Over-the-counter painkillers like ibuprofen and aspirin can treat mild to moderate pain. Str...

onger pain medication may be prescribed after surgery or more severe injuries. For chronic pain that persists, your doctor can help determine the best course of treatment or give you a referral for a pain specialist. Learn more about treating pain with expert advice from Sharecare.