Is too much pain medication bad for my hospitalized child?

The fact is, not treating pain can make things worse. Less pain means less stress on the body and the mind, so healing occurs faster. If your child hurts less, he will be able to get up and move around sooner after the surgery. You want that to happen because it reduces the risk of post-op complications, such as pneumonia, infections, fever, and blood clots.

Taking pain meds for several days won’t make your seven year-old a prescription-drug junkie. If your child needs to take pain meds or sedatives for a longer period, your doctor will decrease the dose slowly to prevent any withdrawal symptoms.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Pain Treatment

Opioid-Free Ways to Beat Pain
Opioid-Free Ways to Beat Pain
Opioid addiction and overdose rates have reached epidemic levels, yet doctors still prescribe the drugs. Why? They work well to control pain, and in m...
How long does it take for a spinal injection to work?
North American Spine Society (NASS)North American Spine Society (NASS)
If you have had a spinal injection, it takes a few days, even a week or longer, for the steroid medi...
What are trigger point injections (TPI)?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
A trigger point injection is an injection (shot) into a painful area of muscle. Normal muscles tight...
What Are Natural Treatments for Pain?
What Are Natural Treatments for Pain?