How can visualization help me relieve chronic pain?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
Most chronic pain is the result of years of poor movement habits -- habits that have taken on the guise of "natural" movement, even though these are actually unnatural and harmful habits (also called movement dysfunctions or movement faults). For instance, you will discover that many people who experience neck pain and headaches have a poorly functioning shoulder blade. When the shoulder blade's function is restored, most people think, "That can't be right," followed almost immediately by, "Wow, my neck feels so much better like this!"

This tells me that their sense of biomechanically correct movement is actually wrong. What they "visualize" as ideal movement needs to change. To this end, I often ask my clients to perform their exercises in front of a mirror to give feedback on their form. Most people have never taken the time to observe their movement patterns, and this is a real eye-opener for them.
Fixing You: Neck Pain & Headaches: Self-Treatment for healing Neck pain and headaches due to Bulging Disks, Degenerative Disks, and other diagnoses.

There are two major muscles connecting the shoulder blade to the head and neck. Because the shoulder system isn't working well, continual stress is placed on the head and neck creating...

Continue Learning about Pain Treatment

Foam Rolling: What’s With All the Hype?
Foam Rolling: What’s With All the Hype?
Go into any gym, physical therapist’s office or rehab center and you will probably find foam rollers stacked on the floor or hanging on a rack. Many e...
How soon can stem-cell therapy be used to treat my pain?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Though no stem-cell therapy is currently approved by the FDA, research is underway to get FDA approv...
How much pain will I experience after ACDF surgery?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
After anterior cervical discectomy and fusion (ACDF) surgery, you may have a sore throat and trouble...
Does Swearing Help People Tolerate Pain?