How can I tell if I need surgery for my pain condition?

To decide if you are a good candidate for surgery, you must consider the level of pain you feel and how it has affected your quality of life. If your pain is constant and incapacitating, and if activity or exercise is limited, even with non-operative treatment, surgery may be a consideration. A good test method to help you determine if a high-tech treatment is necessary is to use a calendar to chart the days when your pain either immobilizing or prevents you from doing your daily tasks and activities. Look back over this calendar in three weeks. If more days are circled than not, or if the pain is not reduced, you should talk to your doctor to see if a high-tech or surgical procedure may help you. 
The Women's Guide to Ending Pain: An 8-Step Program

Are you one of the 80 million North American women suffering from the chronic pain of:* Menstrual cramps* Fibromyalgia* Headaches * Carpal tunnel syndrome* Back or neck pain?Starting today, you can...

Continue Learning about Pain Treatment

Natural Way to Soothe Postworkout Aches
Natural Way to Soothe Postworkout Aches
Take the "ouch" out of workouts by cooking with this spicy little root: ginger. A study shows that getting ample amounts of ginger every day could he...
How can rigid foot orthoses relieve foot pain?
Christopher Chiodo, MDChristopher Chiodo, MD
Rigid foot orthoses (shoe inserts) are meant to correct a structural abnormality that causes suc...
When can I return to work after ACDF surgery?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Return to work when your doctor advises. When you can return to work from anterior cervical disc...
What Natural Methods Can I Use to Reduce Pain?