How does the all-fours rocking stretch help ease shoulder pain?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
The all-fours rocking stretch serves the dual purposes of stretching key muscles in the arm and scapula (shoulder blade) as well as guiding these bones to restore proper movement patterns. This single exercise is a real workhorse for fixing shoulder pain and will most likely be one you will perform in a maintenance program. When performing the all-fours rocking stretch exercise, pay special attention to whether your elbow crease rotates in while rocking back onto your heels. This indicates tightness of your internal rotator muscles. Stretching them simply means not allowing the arm bone to rotate while rocking back. This may initially be painful; if so, stop at the point of pain or allow the elbow crease to rotate in just enough to ease the pain. As these muscles stretch, you will be able to rock back further onto your heels before pain begins. Eventually there will be no pain.
Fixing You: Shoulder & Elbow Pain: Self-treatment for rotator cuff strain, shoulder impingement, tennis elbow, golfer's elbow, and other diagnoses.

The shoulders are a floating system on the trunk, held in place and moved by muscular control. The foundation of shoulder movement is the shoulder blade which has precise resting and moving...

Continue Learning about Pain Treatment

How to Exercise Your Pain Away
How to Exercise Your Pain Away
Pain and heart trouble are tangled together. “Silent” heart disease may first show up as unexplained aches and pains that people never mention to thei...
What should I do if I have chest pains?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you experience a “smothering feeling” or angina-like chest pain (discomfort, pressure, or pain ...
Can I take pain medicines with Procardia to help with pain?
MDLIVEMDLIVE
Yes. But be sure to clear this with your doctor so that he/she can monitor you for blood pressure ch...
The Heat and Electrotherapy Solution for Your Pain