Pain Treatment

How can I relieve my foot pain?

• ADr. Christopher Chiodo, MD, Orthopedic Surgery, answered
    The first step is to obtain an accurate diagnosis. With a solid diagnosis in hand, appropriate treatment can be started.
  • ARealAge answered
    If foot pain is throwing a wrench in your daily plans, there's a simple solution. Research shows that orthotics -- custom-made insoles that help realign abnormal foot mechanics -- can work wonders for many types of foot pain. A review of 11 clinical studies found that custom orthotics, made for your feet, can ease pain from a host of problems, including high arches, rear-foot aches from rheumatoid arthritis (RA), and hallux valgus -- misalignment of the big toe. Orthotics are somewhat less successful at relieving plantar fasciitis but may still be worth trying. Dealing with foot, knee or hip pain can be a drag, but it doesn't have to stop you from doing the things you love. Here are some ways to ease the aches:
    • Exercise. Regular physical activity can actually alleviate pain and stiffness.
    • Watch your weight. The heavier you are, the more stress you put on joints.
    • Give 'em a rub with ointments that boost blood flow to the skin.
    • Make sure you are wearing the right walking shoe for your feet.
How can I help prevent painkiller withdrawal symptoms after surgery?