How can I reduce pain from a wound or incision?

Dr. Francis X. Downey, MD
Cardiothoracic Surgeon

If your incision or wound is painful, you may take acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil) as recommended by your doctor to reduce pain. Follow the instructions on the bottle. If your doctor has prescribed pain medicine, take it as ordered. Also, as the wound heals, it may begin to itch.

You can usually reduce pain from a wound or incision with over-the-counter medications.

Continue Learning about Pain Treatment

Foam Rolling: What’s With All the Hype?
Foam Rolling: What’s With All the Hype?
Go into any gym, physical therapist’s office or rehab center and you will probably find foam rollers stacked on the floor or hanging on a rack. Many e...
Read More
How can tahini help reduce headaches and muscle pain?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
Thanks to its magnesium content -- Mother Nature’s muscle relaxant -- tahini, a spread made from ses...
More Answers
Why can't we stop pain completely?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Pain has a protective function in our body, which is why we don't want to stop it completely, says D...
More Answers
A No-Pill Pain Solution
A No-Pill Pain Solution

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.