How can I reduce pain from a wound or incision?

You can usually reduce pain from a wound or incision with over-the-counter medications.

Dr. Francis X. Downey, MD
Cardiothoracic Surgeon

If your incision or wound is painful, you may take acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil) as recommended by your doctor to reduce pain. Follow the instructions on the bottle. If your doctor has prescribed pain medicine, take it as ordered. Also, as the wound heals, it may begin to itch.

Continue Learning about Pain Treatment

Opioid Use for Chronic and Acute Pain
Opioid Use for Chronic and Acute Pain
People across the country who are dealing with serious acute and chronic pain issues are becoming increasingly alarmed and confused about whether thei...
What are some ways to relieve pain during exercise?
Edward PhillipsEdward Phillips
If you think pain relief could help you exercise more comfortably, discuss the options with your doc...
Can I take pain medicines with Procardia to help with pain?
MDLIVEMDLIVE
Yes. But be sure to clear this with your doctor so that he/she can monitor you for blood pressure ch...
The Heat and Electrotherapy Solution for Your Pain