How often should I do strengthening exercises for neck pain?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
To help relieve neck pain, just a little bit of strengthening will effect a positive change. As always, quality is more important than quantity. Strengthening exercises only need to be performed two to three times a day initially, although the hand on head exercise (which relieves stress from the levator scapula and activates the upper trapezius muscles) can be performed throughout the day to relieve symptoms and retrain the trapezius muscle. Once your pain diminishes and your habits are corrected, you may only need to perform the strengthening exercises once a day, once a week, once a month, or perhaps never again when your corrected movement habits are strengthening your muscles as needed, feeding your body rather than breaking it down.
Fixing You: Neck Pain & Headaches: Self-Treatment for healing Neck pain and headaches due to Bulging Disks, Degenerative Disks, and other diagnoses.

There are two major muscles connecting the shoulder blade to the head and neck. Because the shoulder system isn't working well, continual stress is placed on the head and neck creating...

Continue Learning about Pain Treatment

How to Manage Pain With NSAIDs Safely
How to Manage Pain With NSAIDs Safely
Approximately 39 million Americans suffer from migraines and headaches. On top of that, 100 million Americans live with chronic pain, so it’s no surpr...
What side effects should be reported to my doctor after a spinal injection?
North American Spine Society (NASS)North American Spine Society (NASS)
It is possible that serious side effects may occur following a spinal injection procedure. Call your...
What is the treatment for pelvic pain?
Bolanle Sogade, MDBolanle Sogade, MD
Robotic surgery is making pelvic pain treatment less invasive and with shorter recovery time. In thi...
What Can I Use to Ease Sore Muscles and Joints?