How can I manage pain from a needle injection?

The following are tips of how to best manage pain from needle injections.
  • Tensed muscles actually make shots hurt more, so while the doctor’s getting things ready, dangle your arm to the side, shake it out, and make it as loosey-goosey as possible. It makes a big difference; I do it myself! Or try progressive relaxation: tensing and then relaxing one body part after another from head to toe. Or do deep breathing exercises. Relaxing your muscles eases your nerves and the ouch factor, too.
  • Distract yourself. Bring an iPod and listen to some favorite music; close your eyes (so you never even see the needle) and think about something you’re really happy about; chatter about a coming trip or a pet’s new trick or a great restaurant.
  • If you have one, bring a vibrating massager, really! Or ask if your doctor has one. Applying it for two or three seconds before an injection, an inch or two from the site, is a proven way to reduce needle pain.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler. 

Continue Learning about Pain Treatment

Questions to Ask Your Doctor Before You Take an Opioid
When Alice (in Wonderland) spied a little glass box, “she opened it and found in it a very small cake, on which the words EAT ME were beautifully mark...
What are the challenges of treating pain in older adults?
Audrey K. Chun, MDAudrey K. Chun, MD
Unrecognized or undertreated pain in older adults can decrease physical functioning and socializ...
What are the treatment options for pain?
Often, if you treat the injury or condition causing your pain, the pain will go away. Doctors can se...
What Are the Risks of Using Opioid Pain Medication?