How can I manage pain from a needle injection?

The following are tips of how to best manage pain from needle injections.
  • Tensed muscles actually make shots hurt more, so while the doctor’s getting things ready, dangle your arm to the side, shake it out, and make it as loosey-goosey as possible. It makes a big difference; I do it myself! Or try progressive relaxation: tensing and then relaxing one body part after another from head to toe. Or do deep breathing exercises. Relaxing your muscles eases your nerves and the ouch factor, too.
  • Distract yourself. Bring an iPod and listen to some favorite music; close your eyes (so you never even see the needle) and think about something you’re really happy about; chatter about a coming trip or a pet’s new trick or a great restaurant.
  • If you have one, bring a vibrating massager, really! Or ask if your doctor has one. Applying it for two or three seconds before an injection, an inch or two from the site, is a proven way to reduce needle pain.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler. 

Continue Learning about Pain Treatment

How to Exercise Your Pain Away
How to Exercise Your Pain Away
Pain and heart trouble are tangled together. “Silent” heart disease may first show up as unexplained aches and pains that people never mention to thei...
What should I know before taking acetaminophen?
Before taking acetaminophen you should know if any other medications that you take contain acetamino...
How do I get rid of the nagging pain in the back of my shoulder?
A quick exercise you can do to potentially help the symptom is to foam roll your shoulder. This ...
How Does Pulsed Electromagnetic Field Therapy (PEMF) Treat Pain?